Don Julin's "Jazz Is Not Dead" Mandolin Workshop
Don Julin, author of the best-selling Mandolin For Dummies (Wiley 2012), and founder of Mandolins Heal The World (www.mandolinshealtheworld.com) is regarded as one of the top mandolin instructors on the scene today. His workshops, classes, or private lessons feature a hands-on approach focusing on developing good left and right hand coordination, along with a dose of ear training and music theory.
Don Julin's "Jazz Is Not Dead" is a six-week ZOOM mandolin workshop that focuses on some non-bluegrass elements of mandolin playing. Each week will introduce a new tune, beginning with the melody, followed by chords & rhythm patterns. Once you can play the melody and the chords, we will cover some improvisational concepts on using scales and arpeggios to create a great solo.
Week 1: Swing 42
Week 2: Centerpiece
Week 3: Black Orpheus
Week 4: Limehouse Blues
Week 5: Night & Day
Week 6: Whispering/Groovin High
The course includes:
• Six weekly Live 90-minute workshop sessions
• Access to recording of all workshop ZOOM sessions
• PDFs with standard notation, tablature, and chord diagrams
• Practice tracks
Live sessions include:
• Learning the melody (one phrase at a time)
• Learning the chords and the rhythm pattern
• Tips on how to learn and practice tunes
• Tips on improvisations, variations, harmonizations.
• Live Q & A
• Student open mic
Live sessions will be at 7:00 pm EST.
Six Wednesday Evenings
January 6 - February 10, 2021
I hope to see you there.